This morning, Samsung Malaysia officially launched the long awaiting Note series, Galaxy Note 3 together with a new companion, the Galaxy Gear.
The event started with greeting from Will Puah as emcee and followed up speech by Kwon Jae Hoon, Managing Director, Samsung Malaysia Electronics. The presentation for this time launch is pretty simple and straight forward. All the new features such as Air Command was demoed by them.
So before I head on with more details of Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and my first impression, here the key specification of the phone.
- 5.7" Super AMOLED screen with 1080 x 1920 pixels
- 2.3 GHz quad-core Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 processor (LTE Model)
- Adreno 330 (LTE model)
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal memory with microSD slot
- 13MP back camera with 4k video recording
- 2MP front camera with 1080p video recording
- Color : Black, White, Pink
- 3200 mAh
- Android 4.3
- 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm
- 168 grams
Yes, our local market so far only come with Snapdragon 800 version. No news on octa core yet. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 also the first smartphone packed with 3GM RAM on board. The back cover of Samsung Galaxy Note 3 made by faux leather, complete with faux-stitched trim. It’s a dramatic change from the glossy plastic of old, and feels better in the hand than earlier Notes. I also love the phone design finally back to square abit like first generation of Note.
The Galaxy Note 3 also packed with 5.7 inch Full HD Super AMOLED screen. Size is comparable with last generation note and it is as slim as 8.3mm. 13 megapixel back facing camera with capability to record 4k video. Not the first in the world but it is there available for future proof. Here the sample of 4k video. Make sure you click in Original HD for 4k view.
Here the sample of images taken by Galaxy Note 3. Camera set to Auto mode and also in 10mp for 16:9 ratio. Click the image for full size.
One of the main attraction of Galaxy Note 3 is the S Pen enhancement. It came with new feature known as Air Command, a palette of five features which minimises toggling between screens or the need to memorise commands.
Air Command can be access by pressing the button on the stylus when the dot appear on the screen. Here are the list and functionality of the features :
Action Memo : Handwrite a note and automatically convert the handwritten information into formatted content. Action Memo can instantly initiate a call, add to contacts, look up an address on a map, search the web or save a task to a to-do list.
Scrapbook : Enebles people to organize content from various sources including the web, YouTube and Gallery in one place so it is convenient to track back collected content all at once. Scrapbook also collects source material or URLs allowing user to easily refer back to the original source.
Screen Write : Enables for quick screenshot and also write comments onto the captured image.
S Finder : Enables to find any information on your Note 3. By putting in keywords or filters such as date, location, and content type, users can search related documents, events, communication threads, and even the Help page – all in one place. You can not just search for stored content already on the device but S Finder even browses through hand-written notes, symbols, memos, etc on your Note 3.
Pen Window : Create multiple windows on the Note 3. Using the Pen Window feature, all users need to do is doodle a small square on the screen next to the currently open app and instantly a window opens where you can then watch a movie or browse over the internet. The current activity on the screen isn't affected.
Other than Air Command, Galaxy Note 3 also tailored for multitasking thanks to the 3GB RAM! Pen Window is one of the multitask method! Another one is the Multi Window, where user can toggle seamlessly between application without closing the window or opening a new page, allowing to enhanced productivity and collaboration across programs. In addition, user can easily drag and drop content such as a text or image from one window to another window instantly. So, say bye bye to copy and paste!
Here my first impression on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 :
- Smooth! Well not surprisingly since Note II and S4 already smooth.
- Love the air command but still feel about sluggish.
- The Action Memo hardly recognize my hand writing when I write name and number then wanna save as contact. It tend to mess up and save the phone number as name in contact.
- The Pen Window basically same with small app in Sony Xperia phone. It can resize and minimize as well.
- The back casing really does feel plastic with texture.
- Speaker is loud enough for me.
- Snapdragon 800 processor able to play 4k video. My HTC One failed to play LOL
All the sample photos was captured in low light and color turn up not my cup of tea. Too greenish hue.After did some checking, I found that some EXIF info missing from the photos. I wonder the unit I play is lemon unit or has half baked firmware. Hence, I take back what I said for camera performance.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will be available by next week with RRP RM2,399.
Beside Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Malaysia also launch the brand new smart phone companion, known as Galaxy Gear. Basically it is a smart watch that can do everything you need without your phone.
Samsung Galaxy Gear Key Specification :
- 1.63" Super AMOLED with 320 x 320 resolution.
- 800MHz processor
- 512MB RAM
- 4GB Internal memory
- 1.9MP BSI sensor back facing camera with 720p video recording
- 36.8 x 56.6 x 11.1mm
- 73.8 grams
The Galaxy Gear can :
- Notify and provide quick review of incoming text and emails received on the Galaxy device.
- When incoming message is lengthy, user can simply pick up their Galaxy device and the Smart Relay features will automatically reveal the full content on the screen.
- Can make and answer call.
- Can draft messages, create new calendar entries, set alarms and check the weather with S Voice.
- Browse, play and pause the music played on the paired Galaxy device.
- Memographer enable to record both photo and video using a 1.9 MP camera to create quick records of important information.
- Voice Memo enable user capture thoughts or conversations from their wrist and save it into text on their Galaxy device.
If you're worried about the security between paired Galaxy device and also the Gear, there is a Auto Lock feature that automatically locks the paired Galaxy device once the Galaxy Gear is more than 1.5 metres away, ensuring the privacy and security for the user. Find My Device will also helps user find the location of their smart devices when they have been misplaced by making them beep, illuminate and vibrate.
Here my first impression on the Samsung Galaxy Gear :
- The watch is thick! But definitely feel solid.
- The strap is made by rubber which not really my cup of tea.
- Tested with two units and both have problem where camera app crash.
- It is IP 55 rated. Water resistant yo.
- People with big wrist can't wear the watch. See it with my own eye when someone tested it.
The Samsung Galaxy Gear will be available by next week too with RRP RM999.
Thanks Don for the invites to the launch!