All photos taken with Olympus OM-D E-M1 withOlympus 40-150mm F2.8 PRO or 75mm F1.8. Thanks Robin for switching both lens with me time to time!
When I reached there, it was Skyward (TheMingThing) performing on the stage. Love the joke the crack out even when they singing half way.
Joyce Chu, or known as 四葉草 (Four Leave Clover) up next presenting us two of her song - Malaysia Charbor and LIKE ME!
The long awaiting DASH (Darren Ashley) make the next appearance with Paperplane Pursuit as surprise performing guest for us!
I think Narmi wasn't bad either. There was some moment and angle he certainly look like Aaron Kwok!! I didn't lie! Pics as prove! :D
It was my second time meeting Elizabeth Tan after Tune Hotel Pyjamas Party event mid of the year. I think she had better stage performances this time.
David Choi bringing five of his song to the crowds as well. Finally meet the real deal for real!
Last but not least, WongFu productions as final act of the night. Ted wasn't around, so only Philip and Wesley entertained us. They are not singing of course like the performing artist above. They do what they best. Make film! We managed to witnessed one of the upcoming christmas video from WongFu and also some scene from their upcoming movie (which will be release by next year I believe). Truly an inspiration for every Youtubers or people who love to make film. It just reminded me again how much I wish I could make video none stop like them...
Once again, it was awesome night meeting so many awesome Youtube artist! More photos in my Facebook Page. Gimme a LIKE on the page ok!! It was perform poorly even after so many years.. le sigh
I saw my friend, Calvin posted a post in FB regarding preparation when shooting a concert or stage performance make me feel like sharing my experience after shooting the stages for so many years since there are alot people asked me too how do I shoot. I just lie. No one ask me actually LOL But I still gonna share it! Click X on the top right of your browser if you feel like skip it k?
- Pack your trustworthy, valuable and awesome gear earlier! Don't last minute like what happened to me last evening where I actually forgot bringing EM1 battery and my memory pouch despite I am carrying 3 cameras with me. Luckily a memory still stuck in my Olympus E-PL 7. Thanks Robin for the spare battery too for E-M1.
- If you do not have photographer or media pass, that's mean you do not have privilege to shoot at the awesome lane. Don't sad it is not the end of the world. Go bring your crazy friends and camp early in front the stage like what Robin just did.
- Thanks Calvin for this - Do not drink plenty of water before the shoot or train your bladder well. Hold in your pee no matter what when you're shooting.
- Use burst mode and RAW if you're not confident with your shot. At least 1 out 10 burst will save your ass. RAW will not do magic but better than nothing if you do not afraid of processing a tones of images. Personally I don't go burst because I love to look and snap the moment myself. Hence, a fast AF gears are needed for my case. Have I mentioned a thousands time that Olympus system had awesome AF speed?
So you got your gear ready, you reach the location and yes, you eat and drink enough. So what's next? What about what to shoot on stage?
- Always always always shoot moment! Artist waving hand, artist dancing, artist interact with crowds - All this are money shot!
- What if artist are static and not moving, just stand at mic to sing? Then stop shooting and observe. If confirm the stage light will run through the artist few time, take that shot! If the artist is very expressive too on facial, take the shot! Other than that if nothing much happen, forget about the artist. S/he is boring subject LOL.
- Always have variety of shot. Wide shot, mid shot, close up shot, left shot, center shot, right shot or whatever you name it. Just spam all the way you want as long as you feel comfortable.
- Can't shoot that much type of angles because you stuck in crowds (no media/photographer pass)? That sound like a little poor bastard like me last evening LOL.. Yes I was stuck in the middle of crowds and not to mentioned I am short. Keep getting block by tall people (I know right they are mean, not sensitive and rude! LOL just jk)! But that doesn't stop me from shooting. What I can perform just close up (Thanks to Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 PRO) and wide (75mm F1.8). Avoid crowds head as much as possible if you think it is not nice. In my case are unavoidable because I am short! That resulting me having a waist pain after the evening because I am performing "waist pain" pose after shooting for almost 5 hours to avoid head shot. I also once in a while waiting the stage light hit right after their face or body before click my shutter away. So, must be alert and always stand by. Moment could happen anytime and you could miss it anytime too!
This is how I shoot for almost 5 hours with hand raise up in air
What about the ethnics when shooting?
- Always respect other photographers. Don't hog the position for long. Grab your shot, satisfy with it then move away. Of course if your like me last evening, that is no choice unless you don't mind move around with the wave of crowds. For my case I did not move around because I found my sweet spot where less tall people blocking my view and challenge my hand length.
- Be sensitive, someone might stand behind you to shoot so try your best not to block them. You do your job, they need to do their job too. Unless, you're short like me.
- Last but not least, enjoy your shooting in the same time the artist music. I guess it help in release stress and tension in shooting if this is your first time.
If there are something I am missing out and you feel like add in for me, feel free to comment here :) You made it! You finish read all my craps! Yayyy!